Education from the Inside Out
Academic and developmental needs of students change throughout their educational experience. Island Village Montessori School has developed programs with this reality in mind. In the following pages you will learn about our:
- Two Campuses One School – Maintaining a close community during growth is key to success.
- Accountability Report – Portrays our history of academic performance.
- Strategic Intent – Shares institutional goals with our community.
- Montessori Focus – Describes a history of high performance in the public sector while maintaining a fundamental commitment to Montessori philosophy and methodology.
- The Arts – Balances academics and the critical development of imagination, creativity, and presentation.
- Computer Technology and Distance Learning – Prepares students for the future.
- The Education of Virtue - A critical component to educate the “whole child.”
- Educating the Physical Child – Emphasizes healthy development of the body as well as the mind.
- Foreign Language and Cultural Studies – Emphasis on foreign language instruction within a larger study of human culture develops tolerance and understanding.
- Evaluation and Assessment – How does our curriculum compare with traditional schools? How are students assessed in a Montessori environment? How do we balance the FCAT with authentic assessment?
- Early Childhood Program and Curriculum- Serves students from infancy to kindergarten in Venice and from age three in Sarasota.
- Elementary Program- Serves students from kindergarten through 4th grade.
- Upper School Program – Serves students older elementary students and combines the intimacy of a traditional Montessori upper elementary experience with added electives offered through our studio program to prepare students for our middle school program.
- Middle Grades Program – Serves students from 6th through 8th grades. Designed primarily as a senior school for Island Village elementary programs, our middle school program is situated on our Venice campus.
- Self-Directed Learner Distinction – Prepares middle school students for a future life of learning.
- High School Program – A full high school level program for returning IVMS charter students and siblings providing blended online and face-to-face individualized learning options. IVHS is a student-centered, well-rounded educational experience emphasizing the principals of STEAM, designed to support young people entering early adulthood.
- After School Program – Clarifies after school options for Island Village students.
- Summer Programs – Venice Symphony Music Camp for grades 4 through 12 and Montessori Live Residency for training Montessori educators.
- Online Educator Training Program – Maintaining and sharing best practice in Montessori independent and public environments benefits from an online design.
- Community Partnerships – Contributing to the larger world is part of a well-rounded educational experience.
Pages in this section have been composed by IVMS Founder and Executive Director, Dr. Kym Elder, Ed. D, unless otherwise noted. It is true that she is not very good at “sound bites” and has been accused of writing essays so long that no one will read them. She admits the merit of this criticism but says, in her defense, she has tried her very best to edit each program description to the absolute minimum. Her hope is that this section of the Website will portray Island Village Montessori School for what it has accomplished in over a decade of creating a holistic, child and adult friendly model of educational reform. Contact Kym at email@example.com.