Education from the Inside Out
(AUGUST 2013- THESE PAGES ARE BEING UPDATED)
Academic and developmental needs of students change throughout their educational experience. Island Village Montessori School has developed programs with this reality in mind. In the following pages you will learn about our:
- Strategic Intent – Shares institutional goals with our community.
- Dr. Czaja’s Musings – Thoughts from our own Dr. Czaja, a Montessori pioneer whose career spans over 60 years as a Montessori educator and administrator.
- Early Childhood Program and Curriculum- Serves students from infancy to kindergarten in Venice and from age three in Sarasota.
- Elementary Program- Serves students from kindergarten through 4th grade in Venice and through 3rd grade in Sarasota.
- Middle School Program – Serves students from 5th through 8th grades. Designed primarily as a senior school for Island Village elementary programs, our middle school program is situated on our Venice campus.
- High School Program – IVMS is planning a high school level program in the near future that will provide blended online and face-to-face learning paths for students with a corresponding focus on the arts.
- Montessori Focus – Describes a history of high performance in the public sector while maintaining a fundamental commitment to Montessori philosophy and methodology.
- The Arts – Balances academics and the critical development of imagination, creativity, and presentation.
- Computer Technology and Distance Learning – Prepares students for the future.
- Foreign Language and Cultural Studies – Emphasis on foreign language instruction within a larger study of human culture develops tolerance and understanding.
- Self-Directed Learner Distinction and the Contract Plan – Prepares middle school students for a future life of learning.
- Character Education – A critical component to educate the “whole child.”
- After School Program – Clarifies after school options for Island Village students.
- Educating the Physical Child – Emphasizes healthy development of the body as well as the mind.
- Online Educator Training Program – Maintaining and sharing best practice in Montessori independent and public environments benefits from an online design.
- Summer Programs – Descriptions of Montessori summer camp for students from three to seven years of age; Venice Symphony Music Camp for grades 4 through 12; and Montessori Live Residency for training Montessori educators.
- Evaluation and Assessment – How does our curriculum compare with traditional schools? How are students assessed in a Montessori environment? How do we balance the FCAT with authentic assessment?
- Accountability Report – Portrays our history of academic performance.
- Community Partnerships – Contributing to the larger world is part of a well-rounded educational experience.
Select links from the right menu to find out more about Island Village Montessori School Programs.
Pages in this section have been composed by IVMS Founder and Executive Director, Kym Elder, unless otherwise noted. It is true that she is not very good at “sound bites” and has been accused of writing essays so long that no one will read them. She admits the merit of this criticism but says, in her defense, she has tried her very best to edit each program description to the absolute minimum. Her hope is that this section of the Website will portray Island Village Montessori School for what it has accomplished during ten years of establishing a holistic, child and adult friendly model of educational reform. Thanks to Dr. Paul Czaja for his dedication as editor.
Contact Kym Elder at email@example.com.